Sunday, January 22, 2012

Homework 3-Inspiration Layouts

Below are two layouts of the content I randomly found on the web, based on layouts I found in the book (The Elements of Graphic Design by Alex W. White).

Layout 1:

This layout is a response to the layout on the top left of page 62.  It is an example of a 1400s-1800s "broadsheet," a poster sharing news or events.  I don't know if anyone would get from this that it is supposed to harken to an old fashioned layout, but with the futuristic picture it did not seem right to use old fashioned fonts.  I decided to go with what felt right with the content.  Also, the original has three columns and with the lack of words using three columns looked really strange, so I used two.  Even then I used four paragraphs instead of one to fill the page.  Completing this layout was a good exercise in adding columns, adjusting column widths, balancing ragged edges and taking out hyphenation. 

Layout 2:


This layout is a response to the layout on the bottom right of page 67, which is a webpage that is selling clothing.  There are pants "floating" in a lot of white space on the left and text on the right to sell the product.  I tried adjusting the picture to give it as much white space as the pants but it looked strange with a block of text since it itself is boxy, so I decided to directly align "box to box."  Here again I used all paragraphs instead of one because otherwise there was way too much wasted space.  I feel this layout is not as successful as the last.  This exercise did help me get my feet wet a little in layout design though, which is something I need help with.  That in itself makes this exercise a success.

Both layouts were from pages not specified in the original assignment...I think maybe because my book is a different version than in the syllabus (the full book, not the small one) the pages might be off.  However, I made sure to select layouts from the "timeline chapter," which was specified in the assignment.  Pictorial content came from https://www.photospin.com/browse_photos.asp and was in the category Industry.  I chose the fourth picture on the right.  Text content came from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passion_of_Rumi and then http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahram_Nazeri to fill the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment